Tuesday, January 18, 2011

my syndrome : f.i.m.

i have a condition, it is not so rare.  maybe i am one of the few who readily admit that they actually have it.  i have never been professionally diagnosed.  however seeking  professional help may be my next step, if it can not get under control. as long as i can remember i have had it.  i know of someone being diagnosed with l.o.i., or lack of interest.  so i am assuming that f.i.m., or foot in mouth is a true medical syndrome.

usingenglish.com defines this social idiom as :  'Foot in mouth'
This is used to describe someone who has just said something embarrassing, inappropriate, wrong or stupid.

yep, that's it. sometimes i think i only take my foot out of my mouth long enough just to put the other one in. in almost every social setting i have found myself , my f.i.m. affects at least one conversation, if not more, as i try to dig my toes out of the back of my throat.  other than not talking there must be a reasonable solution?  i have to admit it has been getting better, yet, i still more often than not, walk away with a yucky pit in my stomach saying "really alana, did you have to say .......?"

"life is sad, death is weird" at a funeral
"that dress is hooker'ish" about a bridesmaid dress, to the bride, who liked the dress
"only a real man could do that" to a man who couldn't
" i just tell them no don't do that" just unnecessary and rude
"you are not dating material" in so many words, too brutal to explain


and these are only a couple of the countless things that i am willing to admit. i could go on and on. my intentions of speaking have never been to hurt someone, it just happens.  i wouldn't consider myself a malicious person.  i do not enojoy conflict, debating or tearing people down.

 i am only to assume that everyone who can handle themselves appropriately has an internal dialouge filter.  evedentilly people with f.i.m. syndrome are lacking in the filter department. however i have been catching myself alot lately. i am so glad no one can really hear the internal dialouge that has been occuring in my head. "alana 'that' would not be acceptable".  "alana, you have said enough about that". "alana, don't say it, don't say it, don't say it".  i may be on the road to recovery. isn't the first step admitting you have a problem?

1 comment:

  1. You are too funny. I have never been on the receiving end of FIM from you - maybe I should be thankful?? Lol. Kidding. Don't tell me Alana, don't tell me :-) Keep blogging girl - I love your posts!!

    ReplyDelete